Skip to main content

(Not so) Secret Avengers (review)

Caveat, I am a big Avengers fan.

Anyway I recently picked up a batch of secret Avengers 1-15 for around £1/issue. The premise is that Steve Rogers (no longer Captain America) brings together a group of avengers for secret missions. Key members are Back Widow, Ant Man, Moon Knight, War Machine (blocks the comms channels), Valkyrie , Beast, Prince of Orphans (a new one for me) with guests by Nova (very subtle hero here) and Shang Chi.
Although I have enjoyed these it has struck me that there are several things wrong with how it is written.
1) There is too much fighting, in the open, using loud weapons (War Machine is a member)
2) The missions do not really use the skill set of the key characters, or focus on the type of missions you would expect given the premise. Antman is used a bit, Moon Knight uses a disguise but beyond that its really point and hit.
3) There is little characterisation, the characters do not really interact and there is very little growth. The fear itself crossovers which focus on one character per issue have worked best for this but they are just one offs.
4) Steve Rogers goes into battle without a shield but has some sort of force field generator which creates something that looks like a shield when it is needed, why not just let him keep the shield?
5) Beast (one of my favourite characters from the avengers in the 80s when he had just turned blue and was funny) is there for the brains and adds nothing.
Overall good premise but it just does not work for me.

Ohh and even though part of the Heroic age these Avengers are not shy about killing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Items for sale 2024

 

New set of Mordheim Buildings

Last month I finished off my second set of GW Mordheim buildings. Both sets now complete, just need to get around to playing some games.   

Helping Hands 3

Third of the monthly posting of the other world Henchman in conjunction with Duke of the Blood Keep and Minis by Finch This time it's the turn of the poor donkey, carrying an excess of adventurer baggage. I have tried feathering the body of the donkey with the intention of showing up the texture of the hairs but I am uncertain how effective it is. Similarly with the white underbody, I am wondering if I have gone too far down the legs. As a bonus I painted the Cerepod (or Grell for the original Fiend Folio), the poor donkey is doomed. The Cerepod is painted in similar colours to the one on the otherworld site which having looked up its entry in the Fiend Folio are not strictly speaking authentic! In addition ahead of starting on my Drow and Driders I have test painted two old GW Demonettes. Clearly the grey one is the test paint (however stupidly I forgot to note which grey I started with), the pink one was to try out some new paints. I tried something